Second Unitarian Church of Omaha
3012 S 119th Street, Omaha, NE 68144 • 402.334.0537
Title: Director of Religious Education (DRE)
Second Unitarian Church of Omaha, Nebraska, seeks a dedicated, warm, enthusiastic, and creative Director of Religious Education. The DRE provides leadership, direction and management for a Religious Education program that welcomes and nurtures the spiritual wholeness and well-being of our children and youth on Sunday morning and beyond. Second Unitarian has about 110 adult members, plus around 20 children under the age of 18. We are a welcoming, friendly and healthy Unitarian Universalist congregation, seeking to transform ourselves and the wider world!
The DRE will be an integral and leadership part of discussions on re-visioning Religious Education at Second Unitarian, beginning in early 2020. An understanding of current developments in Unitarian Universalist Religious Education — notably the work of Kim Sweeney and others — will be essential.
General Qualifications and Skills
- Commitment to and a deep understanding of the Unitarian Universalist Seven Principles and the Second Unitarian Church Covenant of Right Relations.
- College degree or relevant experience in religious education, education, child development, or a related field.
- Understanding of different learning styles, the developmental stages of children and youth, and the associated teaching/learning strategies in a Unitarian Universalist religious context.
- Experience in working with K-12 children and youth.
- Competency in anti-racism and multi-cultural issues, and anti-oppression issues generally.
- Strength in computer skills and internet-based applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email, and social media.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Warmth, enthusiasm and creativity.
This is a part-time and year-round position, for 20 hours per week from July 1st to June 30th. The DRE must be available to work Sunday mornings during the congregational year (September – June) and also during the summer as needed for summer programming. The DRE will maintain weekly on-site office hours per week as determined by the Minister. The DRE is supervised by the Minister.
Full Job Description
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines for Geo Index 2-Small Congregation and is based on education, UUA RE credentialing status and experience.
- Participation in the UUA Retirement Program with 10% employer contribution.
- Participation in the UUA Life Insurance and Long-term Disability Insurance with 100% employer contribution.
- Participation in the UUA Health Plan without employer contribution.
- Professional expense allowance.
- One Sunday per month off, with adequate supervision by volunteers arranged.
- Forty hours paid leave annually, to include no more than two Sundays.
- Forty hours paid sick leave annually.
If you would like to join our staff team, please send a cover letter and resumé, with “DRE Position” in the subject line, to the Reverend Cyndi Simpson at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also send a cover letter and resumé via postal mail to: Reverend Cyndi Simpson, Second Unitarian Church of Omaha, 3012 S 119th Street, Omaha, NE, 68144.
- If you have any questions about the hiring process or this position, please be in touch with Reverend Simpson at the above email address.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position is open until filled.