Our Whole Lives
What is Our Whole Lives (OWL)?
This curriculum, with trained facilitators, teaches children and adults confidence when making decisions about their bodies, how to stay safe in the world, answers questions about development, and involves parents and families in discussions about values. It goes beyond sex ed into self ed. Here’s a brochure with more information.
This curriculum, with trained facilitators, teaches children confidence when making decisions about their bodies, answers questions about development, and involves parents and families in discussions about values.
- Kindergarten-2nd Grade: At this level, they learn how to say “no,” how to respect ourselves as well as others, our anatomy, where children come from, etc. It also comes with take home sheets so you, as the primary sex educator for your child, can get more comfortable having discussions about these issues as well as your family’s values around these issues. It empowers you, the parent, in these discussions.
- 4th-6th Grades: Children will expand on the topics above and learn more about reproduction, bullying, gender identity, and justice issues, all presented in a developmentally appropriate way.
- 7th-9th Grades: In an inclusive and developmentally appropriate manner, this comprehensive and progressive sexuality curricula addresses sensitive topics that are typically excluded, including: body image, social media/internet, bullying/bystander responsibilities, and consent education. Popular activities and discussion topics remain, and users have more options for alternate activities and multi-media resources to accommodate their participants’ specific needs and interests.
- 10th-12th Grades: A sexuality education program for youth that models and teaches caring, compassion, respect, and justice. A holistic program that moves beyond the intellect to address the attitudes, values, and feelings that youth have about themselves and the world. Using a comprehensive approach, this program helps senior-high youth gain the knowledge, life principles and skills they need to express their sexuality in life-enhancing ways. Includes a parent orientation and 12 sessions.
- Young Adult/Adult OWL: Young adult OWL is for those who are primarily still single. Adult OWL is for those who are older or partnered. Helps participants navigate adulthood with accurate information, increased self-knowledge, enhanced safety and strengthened interpersonal skills. Adult OWL uses values, communication skills and spirituality as starting points to explore sexuality issues for adults of all ages. Builds understanding of healthy sexual relationships, affirms diversity and helps participants accept and affirm their own sexuality throughout their lives.
Our congregation also houses a library of age-appropriate books for children and youth. A listing can be accessed here: OWL Lending Library